During wrestling seasons, it’s important to be aware of some of the foot health issues that can arise. Here are three types of foot injuries to watch out for:
- Skin infections
- Athlete’s foot produces areas of dry, red scaly skin, which usually cracks and peels. These cracks can be very painful and can open the door to other infections.
- Ringworm is a similar fungal infection, but the rash it produces appears in red circles, which are usually itchy. Your podiatrist will be able to give you a precise diagnosis.
- Sprains and strains
It only takes one awkward landing during a wrestling match or in training to damage your foot or ankle enough to keep you out for several weeks.
- Ankle sprains are caused when the ligaments that surround your ankle joint are stretched so far that they tear, causing considerable pain and discomfort.
- Never try to push through the pain of a sprain, since you could make the injury much worse. Rest and elevate your foot, and use ice and compression bandages during recovery.
- Problems caused by wearing the wrong shoes
Like most other sports, wrestling requires special footwear which can cope with the particular demands placed on your feet in such an intensely physical contact sport. However, wearing your wrestling sneakers for cross training can cause serious foot health issues.
- Wrestling shoes are not capable of absorbing the shocks your feet receive when running, and also have no arch support. This can lead to heel and arch pain.
- Continuing to run in wrestling shoes can cause plantar fasciitis, a painful condition which can keep you out of action for some time. Always use properly designed shoes for the activity you’re doing.