Learning how to give a proper foot massage is a gift that can keep on giving. This Valentine’s Day, give your sweetie an unforgettable gift of pampering – the ultimate foot massage!
- First, create a relaxing environment. Find a quiet, warm room, turn down the lights and use candles and soft music. Seat your loved one in a comfortable reclined seat and have them close their eyes.
- Start with a warm footbath. Dip the feet in a warm bowl of water which contains some aromatherapy oils scented with peppermint or lavender.
- Pat the feet dry and set them on a towel-covered stool, ottoman or stack of pillows.
- Use a massage cream or oil and warm it in your hands before applying it all over the foot.
- Gently rotate each of the ankles clockwise and counterclockwise a few times, then do the same with all the toes.
- Apply pressure with your thumbs all along the bottom of the feet, paying special attention to the heels and balls of the feet.
- Rest at certain areas and move your thumbs in circles before moving on.
- Hold each toe in your fingers and gently pull toward you a few times.
- Finish the massage by holding the whole foot in both your hands and moving them up and down gently while applying some pressure to encourage circulation.