If you’ve suffered a broken toe recently, you may have heard some people say that it will get better on its own. Unfortunately, this isn’t true – leaving your toe untreated can lead to serious problems down the line. Some of these can cause you pain for life, which is why it’s so important to see a podiatrist immediately.
There are several complications that can be caused if you just leave your toe alone; it won’t simply get better with rest like some other foot injuries can. It’s always better to get your toe seen to properly right away. If you don’t, then you may end up with more serious problems, such as:
- Your bones may grow out of shape, which can lead to limited foot movement. You may also find it hard to get shoes to fit properly.
- The broken halves of the bone may not grow back together correctly, so you may need to have surgery in the future.
- Fractures which are not properly treated can lead to you suffering in the long-term from arthritis.
How can getting arthritis in your toe affect you?
Arthritis is a condition in which your joints become swollen and inflamed. Although it can affect any bones, it’s particularly common around your feet and toes. An untreated broken toe, because the bones aren’t properly healed, is the ideal place for arthritis to strike.
- Arthritis cannot be cured, so it’s important that you do everything you can to minimize your risk of getting it in the first place.
- It can cause pain, discomfort and stiffness in your feet, which can affect your daily routine for the rest of your life.
- The pain of arthritis can be reduced with treatment, but seeing a podiatrist about your broken toe will give you the best chance of avoiding it completely.